Braai Pie – Chicken Curry
This chicken curry pie is incredible. Originally made in the oven I have tweaked it a bit to go on the braai. This recipe is a chicken curry but you can really throw anything into your braai pie, this is just one of my favourites!
Ingredients (Braai Pie)
– Chicken (about 0.5kg to 0.75kg)
– 125 mls cream
– Cumin seeds (1 teaspoon…don’t stress if you don’t have, but this adds to the flavour!)
– Curry powder (depends on how hot you like it! Rule of thumb, about 2 tablespoons)
– Butter (about 2 teaspoons)
– 1 Onion
– Flour (1 tablespoon)
– Butternut (About half a butternut, less if you don’t like veges…can be replaced by sweet potato)
– A cup of boiling water with chicken stock
– Puffed pastry (buy local or from a supermarket)
This is a really easy and quick recipe once the chicken is done. I like to do this overnight to make sure the meat and sauce mix well.
1. Cook enough chicken for the amount of people you are serving, and boil the butternut. You can use chicken breasts or cut up a full chicken after roasting it on the fire. You will need to dice them up after cooking into small strips or chunks.
2. Place a pot on a stove top and add the butter and then onions. Make sure the onions turn soft and brown a little.
3. Next add your flour, cumin seeds and curry powder and stir for about a minute making sure there are no lumps.
4. Take the pot off the flame and add the chicken stock slowly whilst stirring.
5. Put the pot back on the heat and add the cream and stir for about a minute.
6. Add the butternut and chicken and leave to simmer for about 5 minutes on low heat.
7. Test to see if the sauce is spicy enough…then add more curry powder if needed.
I like to do this the night before and then let it rest in the fridge. When you put the ingredients into the pastry you need to make sure they are cold so the pastry does not melt.
You can get pastry from your local baker or buy it in a supermarket. You can also make your own but I want this to be a quick and easy recipe for your.
1. Let the pastry defrost and then roll it out on a bed of clour to the size of dish you want to place it in.
2. Roll one side of the pastry inside the grid and cover with spinach leaves.
3. Add in the filling that was prepared (make sure it is cold!!)
4. Cover the top of the filling with more spinach.
5. Close the Pie up with the remaining pastry and press down the sides (a bit of water added will help it stay in place)
6. Use a pastry brush to lightly coat the top the of the pie with milk. This will help to make the pie golden brown.
This is cooked on a medium heat (you are able to hold your hand over the grid for about 7 seconds) directly over the coals.
Turn this quite regularly, and because the ingredients are cooked before, it’s easy to tell when your pie is done. The pastry will simply turn a golden brown. Once this happens take it off the fire and serve up for an awesome meal!
Remember, it’s always braai o’clock! – See more at: http://www.braai365.com/braai-pie.html#sthash.4jtxsTaX.dpuf